Predoctoral Research: "Intersectional inequalities and political activism"
EDGE is curently inviting applications for doctoral research project on intersectional inequalities and political activism within the framework of the strategic research programme on Enhancing Democratic Governance in Europe (EDGE at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. EDGE explores innovative ways of political decision-making that help both effectively tackle real-world challenges to democracy and strengthen European democracies. We welcome research proposals that aim to enhance our understanding of minority groups’ intersectional experiences and activism on inequality and discrimination.
We welcome applications from motivated candidates with a Master degree in Gender and Diversity, Political Sciences, Sociology and/or any other relevant study area, who have excellent study results and a specific interest in qualitative research on inequality and discrimination. The selection for the position will be based on your academic qualifications and the quality of your research proposal.
- A full-time doctoral scholarship for 1 year, renewable to max. 48 months after a positive evaluation, starting on 1 February 2024 (or as soon as possible thereafter).
- A multidisciplinary, internationally networked and dynamic research team, effective supervision by qualified researchers and financial means to support your research
- An open and diverse working environment in the heart of Europe, with capacity-building and training opportunities to develop your research skills and future career
- A grant linked to the scales set by the government, extensive home-working options, 35 days of leave per year and various other benefits like reimbursement of home-to-work commute with public transport, hospitalisation insurance, child care facilities, eco-cheques etc. (more info on working at the VUB see: https://jobs.vub.be/)
Please send your application by 8 December 2023 to Jessie.Scheldewaert@vub.be, indicating subject “EDGE PRE-DOC APPLICATION WP 3”.
Your application includes:
- Letter of motivation.
- CV, including 2 references (name, institute, email address) and diploma
- A short research proposal of 1000 words (including central research puzzle/question, relevance, research design and methods).
- Please also submit 1 recent publication or writing sample (e.g. master’s thesis).
Questions may be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org